9.27.2010

put your shoulder to the wheel




I love this blog. I'm obsessed with it. It's simple; uses Wordpress format; has its own domain name. 1000 Awesome Things takes one simple thing a day, declares it awesome and has a little spiel about it. For example, today's entry was "Kids who dress themselves." That is pretty awesome. So, the author includes things like that to things like "Driving home from a long trip and getting all your radio stations back." Simple. It is also a blog-turned-book (to the left), which a lot of blogs are doing...re: good blogs are doing. I don't know if people go into the blog hoping it turns in to a book or what, but ones like this one and 1001 Rules for my Unborn Son do. (1001 uses Tumblr, btw. A blog platform I really like).

The Huffington Post even put out an article/poll of its opinion of the best blog-turned-books this past year. Another favorite is the I Can Has Cheezburger, obviously. Here people simple send them pictures of their pets (mainly cats) and the slap sayings on them of what they think the cats are thinking. I'm refusing to go to the blog as I write about it because it consumes a good two hours of my day. And I end up laughing out loud in a quite office.

UPDATE: I went to the blog. But I only spent 20 minutes looking at pictures and managed to keep my laughing to a quiet snicker. I win!


Post Secret is also a blog that has made the transition, possibly most successfully. It's creator, Frank Warren, has done something really great. People simply send in a postcard with a secret written on it. (He uses Blogspot, btw).


Other blog/books on the list include the very famous Julie & Julia one, Stuff White People Like (a fav), and a few about hipsters. Not sure how they become so blog-worthy, but more power to them.

Viva la blogs!


Title quote: Aesop

2 comments:

  1. I looked at the Julie and Julia one but haven't read it all yet. And yes, Post Secret is really cool. Oh, just FYI, the link to 1000 Awesome Things is broken. It's got blogpost.com in it first. Easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love Postsecret. I have been brainstorming how to use it for my youth group without getting into all the non-church-appropriate secrets, lol.

    ReplyDelete